Tag Archives: student

Student accommodation needed – Landlords extend your portfolios!

November 30, 2011


Student accommodation needed - Landlords extend your portfolios!

Landlords have been encouraged to extend their portfolios and look into the student letting market.

Towns and cities have seen a big student growth with more and more people signing up to join universities despite tuition fees rising. Landlord insurance customers should take note and snap up this fantastic opportunity.

accommodation is limited when it comes to housing students but a lot of them have also found that it is expensive to apply for student accommodation, most of the second year university students look to privately rent until they have finished their degrees and graduate.

Iqbal Hussain, property consultant at global real estate group Knight Knox International has said : “You need to get in there before anyone else”, advising landlords to “look for anywhere that there is demand” for extra student housing.

He continued :”If the university is going to bring the numbers in, they are going to need accommodation”, he also recommended landlords to buy their property according to the quality of the education establishment rather than the halls of residence.*


*Quote source – Simple

Continue reading...

Landlords encouraged to buy and renovate disused buildings, then let to students

November 18, 2011


Have you ever wanted to renovate a building for student use? If you do and you go for it make sure you take out a landlord insurance policy.

Property expert, Stephanie Sowerby, has said that disused buildings are ideal for student accommodation. Ms Sowerby, Marketing Director for Fresh Start Living has pushed this as there is great demand for student properties in university towns and cities.

Developing these properties could be cost-effective she goes onto explain, councils may be swayed more to say yes to construction and provide planning permission on brownfield sites

“There is a huge demand (for such properties) from investors because of the return on investment potential that is offered,” the specialist stated, noting there is a shortage of housing for students in city centres.

With universities wanting to save cash, they are selling their living spaces because their government funding was cut. This means that private investors are seeing more university students who need a place to live.

Landlords who are thinking of letting out their property may want to join a new scheme which has been set up by accommodation for students and unipol, they accredit property which is up to a certain standard.

To protect your property against damage by students you may want to look into landlord insurance (mentioned at the top of this article). We also have a specialist students contents insurance cover, this is for students who want to protect their goods while living in your property.
Source- Simple

Continue reading...

Landlord insurance- Make sure you are protected with student tenants!

September 29, 2011


University students take their places and also need somewhere to live!

We have now come to that time of the year where a new bunch of fresh-faced students have got their university places and are now looking for somewhere to live. For landlords this can be a great time to provide students with accommodation, but insurance companies have warned landlords to be protected with the correct landlord insurance cover.

Students, university ones in particular, have a bit of a reputation when it comes to being untidy and parting a bit too much! This could risk damage to any furniture and carpets that don’t belong to them. Unfortunately this means that students are under a high risk category meaning that any landlord who rents out a property to them face paying higher premiums.

Some landlord insurance providers have products such as rent guarantee cover to protect you from unpaid rent and legal protection cover for if you have any legal disputed from evicting tenants, tax disputes and more are included! Making sure you have the right policy is key and will give you peace of mind because you are always protected.

If you are a landlords wanting a policy for student tenants give CIA Insurance a call and they will find the best policy to suit your needs.

Contact information for CIA

Telephone – 0844 88 88 323

Email – info@cia-insurance.co.uk

Fax – 0844 88 89 002

Continue reading...