Tag Archives: building and contents insurance

Are you prepared for winter?

November 14, 2011



Before the cold weather really takes hold, check that your boiler is up to date and everything is in full working order.

The time has come, it is now officially winter. The daylight hours are fading fast and the weather is getting colder everyday.

Now is the time to think about how you can protect your property, just like we prepare ourselves with warm clothing properties need the same type of care.

Getting the right insurance policy for your boiler and making sure your pipes are properly insulated are all steps you need to take to make sure you are covered in all eventualities.


Protecting yourself from crime

During the first week of November (from October 30th – November 5th) the UK has the highest average weekly crime rate, and it seem that as the days get darker crime rates increase. Covering yourself with the correct home insurance, especially around Halloween and bonfire night is essential. Always check exactly what you are covered for.

Protecting yourself against burst pipes

One of the most common home insurance claims is for burst pipes, most insurers will allow you to have home emergency cover for this and any damage created by storms. A burst pipe is where the water freezes inside the pipe, it then expands and then bursts. An average claim on home insurance for a burst pipe is £15,000. Insulating the pipes will help protect them, also taking the extra step of insulating your water tank will cover you and stop even more damage occurring.

Protecting yourself from a blocked gutter

Blocked gutters can also create a lot of damage to your home, gutters blocked with leaved and debris could create a back log of water which will eventually freeze and put pressure onto your pipes. This could also cause damp to grow in your property because of the water seeping through the roof.

Protecting yourself from a broken boiler

Before the cold weather really takes hold, check that your boiler is up to date and everything is in full working order. Replacing a boiler at this time of the year can be very expensive and it is also a stressful experience. If you are a tenant, your landlord or local housing association should make sure that the above is done. Paying for a boiler inspection can be expensive at the time (between £50-£80) but it will be worth it in the long run as it can make your insurance premium cheaper as you are preventing it from breaking down.

Protecting yourself from roof damage

Making sure your roof is watertight is essential as heat can escape and any effort you have put into insulating your property will go to waste. Have your chimney cleaned and make sure any debris is cleared, it is best to get rid of any potential hazards and any risks of carbon monoxide poisoning. Damp can be a big problem during the drizzly winter months, check for cracked tiles and gaps on the roof.


Source- Moneyexpert

Continue reading...

A quick guide to landlord insurance…

November 3, 2011


You may need cover for a burst pipe...

One of the most important things you can do as a landlord, is get landlord insurance. Sometimes known as ‘buy – to – let insurance’, it is very important to have this in place to protect a landlord’s property.

By being a landlord, you have to rely mainly on constant revenues from your property to give you earnings, to help prevent any cuts to your stream of income you must have landlord insurance in place. a normal home insurance will not provide you with that type of cover. It is the best investment you could make for anyone from a lone property owner to the professional portfolio manager.

The different covers that are available should be easy to understand and can be self explaitory.

Landlord building insurance will cover you for any damage to your property, for example any damage from fire or a burst pipe. You can also get a combined buildings and contents insurance which will include cover to your fixtures and fittings, or if you wish you can have this on it’s own.

There is also public liability insurancewhich will protect you and your business from claims due to third party damage, this could be from a tenant living in your property or their guest getting an injury because of something faulty hat you didn’t know about.

Public liability cover is important!

If you have more of a business made out of being a landlord and you end up having to hire employees, you must as a legal requirement have employers’ liability insurance. This is to cover you from any compentation claims because of an injury caused in the workplace. An employee that is injured due to their employer’s negligence can still seek compensation even if the business goes into liquidation or receivership. Employers’ liability insurance policy will automatically cover £10 million.

There will be a few things that will affect your premium, if you are in a position to buy, renew or change a landlord insurance policy. Insurers will assess a wide range of different factors when looking into how much your premium will be, this will include:

  • The location of the property – This is usually judged by the postcode
  • The type of tenants in the property – DSS, Asylum Seeker , Professional working
  • How secure the property is – Locks on doors, alarms ect
  • Any past history of claims
  • How old the property is
  • The type of property it is

CIA Insurance can help you with all of these, if you visit our website http://www.cia-landlords.co.uk/ and click on ‘quote’ one of our experienced sales advisors will give you a call and guide you through everything and also they are there to advise you.

Alternatively you can call us on 0844 888 0208 or email us info@cia-insurance.co.uk 


Source – www.hip-consultant.co.uk and CIA Insurance

Continue reading...